Senior SSA Engineer
Deimos Space UK is looking for a Space Safety Engineer to join the Space Situational Awareness (SSA) team in Oxford. The team works on a range of projects across the entire SSA domain, from sensor development to tracking and characterisation of space objects, collision risk assessment and mitigation strategy development. We are looking for someone who is passionate about SSA, goal- orientated and a strong team player. For the right candidate, this is an opportunity to make a real difference supporting a safe and sustainable future for space.
This role is based in Oxford, Harwell.
As a key member of the team, you will be responsible for space safety projects crossing the entire SST chain. The successful candidate will work locally with the UK SSA team and will have technical support from the wider international team.
The main activities are:
- Research and technical work on SSA projects nationally and internationally
- Development and validation of software tools for SSA
- Contribution to project documentation
- Technical support for SSA proposals
- Interaction with clients, and the wider SSA community
- Contribution to commercial and marketing activities.
Depending on the experience of candidate, further functions may include:
- Technical leadership of SSA projects
- Mentorship of junior team members in the SSA business unit
- Documentation Review in support of project milestones
- Support of internal training activities
- Representing the company externally
MSc or higher in relevant engineering discipline or equivalent (e.g., Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic) or a related degree (e.g., Physics, Maths).
Experience working in the SSA domain and challenges in particular, SST sensor technology and data processing, space environment modelling and collision risk assessment.
The position will be tailored to the level of experience; relevant industrial and/or academic experience being viewed very positively.
- Knowledge of SSA domain in particular, sensor technology and data processing, Space environment modelling and collision risk assessment
- Relevant experience developing software tools (python preferred)
- Knowledge of the use of AI and machine learning in the space domain
- Experience working on collaborative industrial projects
- Experience working on international projects
- Knowledge of ESA procedures and guidelines
- Knowledge of verification and validation procedures
- Knowledge of software development tools (e.g., bitbucket, git, SonarQube)
CI/CD using Gitlab Framework or Atlassian Ecosystem
Good level of English, spoken and written.
- Motivated and enthusiastic
- Pro-active and committed to excellence
- Good communicator/team player
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Autonomy and willingness to take initiative
A few benefits you will get if you come to work with us:
- Innovative and leading-edge technological projects.
- Nice working climate in a multicultural environment.
- Annual specialised training plan: technologies, soft skills and languages.
- Flexible working hours and remote work several days per week.
- Team building activities: Christmas dinner, football matches, paddle tournaments, cycling routes…
- Relocation package, if you come from another country.
- Coffee, biscuits and fruit are available at your disposal
To apply for this job please visit www.elecnor-deimos.com.